Wintertime brings with it all types of opportunities for cold weather to make it inside your house, and max out your comfort system in the process. Don’t be caught by surprise. Use the following simple tips to improve the performance of your system this winter.
- Do not let your heat escape! Make sure all your doors and windows are shut tightly. Check for leaks, and replace old weather stripping or caulk.
- Use your window shades and drapes to maximize heating benefits. Keep shades closed at night to conserve heat. During the day, open shades to let the sunlight in.
- Add humidity. Humid air feels warmer than dry air. Increasing the humidity of your home also helps you resist winter colds and moisturizes dry skin. Ask us about Trane Humidifiers!
- Keep your furnace air filter clean. A dirty or clogged filter can make your furnace work harder, which costs you more.
- Much of the heat escaping homes is lost through the attic. Be sure to close off any attic vents or fans during the winter and check on how well the attic is insulated. Our technicians can help!
– Tips provided by the Department of Environmental Protection.